Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday the first post.

Hello Hi, and thanks for reading?

Its Sunday morning of my first post. What a great day it is too for starting a blog. Well down to business. A few weeks ago my dad and I drove to Columbia MO to buy a 1976 NuWa camper that I had found on craigslist. Its a ten foot hard sided non pop up pull camper, which it turns out are really hard to find. I had spent over a month looking for these and to my surprise found it very difficult. I even talked to a few dealers here in town and I guess these types are not widely made anymore. Its mostly all 14' or much longer now.

I was planing to make the trip myself in my Subaru, however I ended up not being able to find a trailer wire harness in time. So my Dad lent my his van under the conditions that he come along as well. Which turned out to make it into one really good road trip. After getting there and dealing with the very interesting man who was selling this camper for a friend and getting a title with white out over key parts we hooked it up and left. It pulled very well given its very iffy origins. We managed to make it home around 8pm completing our trip in about 13 hours.

Since then things have been going even better. My mom has helped me along with advise from her boss figure out what to do with the title. My moms boss has also been gracious to provide us with a parking area for it when its not being worked on. And most of all my parents have been very helpful with the whole ordeal allowing me to park it at their house and work on it there, even know its currently a bit of an eye sore. My dad has also been incredibly helpful with the remodeling. So a very big thank you to all the help I have had so far.

I have started by removing a storage cabinet inside the door and also a closet so to give me more room for extending the bench seats, which in turn will also widen the bed by about 2 feet. There is a "bathroom" (closet with a portapotty in it) next to the closet which I will be turning into storage, since neither Tyne or I like the idea of going to the bathroom in the same 10' by 7' box as we do our cooking eating and sleeping. I have also re done all of the interior wiring, what was there was very poorly done and quite possibly a good chance of being a fire hazard. Most recently I have removed the window AC that plugged up the front window. I had been boarded up around the ac as well, which looked terrible. My dad and I built a new window frame and installed it just a day or two ago, and it went much better then expected. I have also had to remove the "counter top" which was watter logged and rotting near the back. Tyne and I have picked out a nice new actual counter top which will be installed later this week.

So all in all this project is going oh so very well. I had my doubts in starting but I just kept up with my original idea and got past any fears and now its very much worth it. So again a big Thank you to everyone who has helped so far and who will be helping throughout. Its all gunna be great.




1 comment:

  1. very informative.... but how do you feel?

    I am impressed by the spelling.

    ReplyDelete